Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fight For Love




The above film is the story of a gay couple in Florida and their attempt to adopt their foster children. In Florida, gay couples are not allowd to marry and gay people are not allowed to adopt (though they are allowed to foster a child). I can't disagree more with these archaic laws that prohibit people from their right to give love and get love and have it be recognized.

I grew up in NYC and my High School is the HS of Performing Arts - the "Fame" School. In that school there were all kinds of kids - every color, every religion, every background and every sexual preference. This was a place where you were judged by your talent not your skin color. Here's an example - Chastity (now Chazz) Bono was in our classes. I could have told you then what we all know now - that she was unhappy withthe conventional moires of society and an alternate lifestyle would make her happy. And that would make her more capable of loving and receiving love.

Now let me also say something - I don't have children nor do I want any. I recently got married at the tender young age of 41 so it's not that I'm all - la la la - marriage and kids. It's exactly that reason that I am so against the fact that gay couples cannot marry in most states and cannot adopt in Florida and other states.

Here's my breakdown - love is rare. You think finding a job you like is difficult? Try finding someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with. And us heterosexuals don't do such a great job of finding a life-mate and raising children - I can cite very specific examples of failed marriages and bad child rearing in my own backyard (though I will not). I myself had a bad marriage under my belt and my parents were the worst parents you could have that didn't hit or take drugs or alcohol. So I know about heterosexuals getting all this marriage and kids stuff way wrong.

I will also tell you that I don't think that because a couple is gay they might do better at marriage or at child rearing. I will tell you one thing though - if you want something so bad that you will fight for it so hard and wait for it for so long you probably are not taking something like marriage lightly. In 5 or 10 or 20 years when gay marriage is legal will gay couples get drunk and get married by Elvis in Vegas - probably....but for now I think they should be allowed to try.

This particular time and place is both wonderful and scary. There is new technology every day but it doesn't bring us closer as people. There is a new President, a new administration, but there is still backward thinking. The small stuff that's trivial in life is abundant - you can buy clothes, get entertained but love....real love....that's rare. Denying a couple the right to celebrate that love and define it legally is wrong, bigoted and hateful. Most people do it in the name of religion which is the most cutting blow of all - because I don't think a Jesus or a Moses would care one rat's ass as long as love was present.

I was thinking back on Guess WHo's Coming to Dinner, a shocking movie of it's time about an inter-racial marriage. It was made in the 60's when that was taboo but already legal. Ten years earlier it was actually illegal for a white person and a black person to marry. The first interracial kiss was on Star Trek. Times change and now it's crazy to think that a man and a woman could be stopped from marrying because of their skin color - so why should two men or two women be stopped? It's illogical and unfair and hopefully we'll look back in a few years and wonder what the fuss was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment