Monday, August 17, 2009

My Case Against Michael Vick


So Michael Vick has been picked up by the Eagles to play football again after his early release from prison for senselessly torturing and slaughtering fighting dogs.

With that one sentence I’ve just told you my views on the subject – I believe that any person who can torture and kill a creature that is smaller or weaker is a bully and a coward in the best terms I can put to the matter. Can I make exceptions…I’m trying and I’m thinking about what kind of exception I can make – a rabid guinea pig, perhaps or a psychotic “little person” on PCP on a rampage comes to mind, but I think you’ll all agree with me that the likelihood of these scenarios is slim.

some of you might say he’s served his time and paid for the crime and he’s repented. I’ll allow you the “served his time” (though technically he didn’t serve the full term of his sentence) but show me a man with a microphone in his face and an agent whispering in his ear to “be repentant if you ever want a fucking check from the NFL again” and I’ll show you a repentant man.

I’ll also allow the “you have to let a man earn his keep” speech – for one moment. All these are valid points and I will shatter all of them now:

First of all, when did society ever greet convicted felons back into the workforce with open arms? The jails are full of men and women that resorted to crime because society wouldn’t give them a break – ever fill out a job application? First question – have you ever been convicted of a felony? (which is a nutty question to ask because if you were convicted of a felony – would you be trusted to tell the truth about it?) so that argument goes down the drain really fast. If we want to treat Michael Vick like everyone else, shun him.

But secondly and most importantly – football players and other sports figures are looked at by children 9and some adults) as heroes. Heroes. I don’t agree with this, but they are. They are worshipped, their sweaty jerseys are saved and framed, cards are traded, pictures are saved. The athlete is supposed to be larger than life, a superman or woman that comes from out of the ordinary to make good. To be better than us. Used to be that you had to have a squeaky clean image. Now you can three or four DUI’s and a few bar brawls and assault and battery charges before someone bats an eyelash. But a hero that kills man’s best friend? What the hell kind of a role model is that for kids?

No. I’m sorry – I think this is a really bad move by the Eagles. And if Vick needs a job – the dog pound needs someone to clean up shit. And if we want to start being humane to people who have served their time, trying to reenter society with dignity - this is not the man to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment