Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The NRA grassroots Minute - Mayor Bloomberg no Friend to The NRA (Duh)







I found this gem just now. In this NRA Weekly minute two young people (including a woman) who kinda look like they could be college students are recapping the latest gun news. One story is about Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York city, not being a friend to the NRA because he wants to impost stricter gun laws in New York City.

Let me first tell you that it's not at all easy to get a gun in New York City. And that not one person that I knew ever wanted a gun nor did they feel that a constitutional right was taken away - we simply never even wanted a gun. I remember having a couple of dates with a police officer (it was after 9/11 and a cop or a fireman was considered "the" accessory for a single girl - much I guess like sailors were during WWII). He put his arm around me and I felt a hard lump when he got closer - that's right! I felt his gun. I remember being totally freaked out that this man had a gun and I didn't see him afterward. Just grossed me out the fact that he had something that was literally an agent of death on him in a restaurant.

I am totally opposed to guns. I firmly believe that there is no reason to have a gun. My cousin Sharie found a gun and blew her brains out. A coworker of my father put a gun inside his mouth and pulled the trigger. I have seen deer, eyes still open dripping in blood hanging from cars. I can only see the destruction that comes from a gun.

I know that there's the second amendment. I've read it. And you can interpret it all you want but you have to agree that when the constitution was written there were wild animals and an English King with an army that wanted his land back. And only 10% of families were armed in those days. In fact guns were getting less popular in the U.S. for decades until a marketing campaign by Samuel Colt played on public fear and paranois (sound familiar?) and civil war soldiers returned home with their guns (if they returned home at all).

What I do know is that guns play a bigger role in offense than defense. And this is an ugly game. I know Hollywood has oh so many vigilante movies but I'm offering up this scenario to all of you - if a criminal came up to you with a gun - who would win? Would you be able to pull the trigger, aim better and fire one off before he got to you? He's had more practice and has no morals - I think he's got you beat. Or in the case of domestic violence or family fights - if you punch someone you'll regret it, maybe spend some time in jail and hopefully get a divorce in the case of domestic violence. Add a gun to the scenario - what was assault is now homicide or murder - two or more lives ruined in a gunflash.

Even I have had experiences. In my first marriage my then husband-to-be had a gun. For protection. For us. My ultimatum - get rid of the gun or me. The gun went and we adopted a German Shepherd for protection. I left my husband after a fight where he hit me. One was enough - what if the gun was in the house? Would he have gone for it? Would I have gone for it in retaliation or anger or self defense? Would that night have ended in a funeral for one and a lifetime in prison for the other? And he wasn't a bad man - stress from losing everything in Hurricane Andrew compounded with a little jealousy of me working with all men and some drinks led to that night. It could have ended worse.

Let's also put children into the equation. How many times have you read of a child blowing his or his friend's brains out after finding a gun under a bed or in a closet? And you can't hide anything from a child - I should know. I used to snoop as a child - I found locked boxes AND the keys to them, only to find a stash of Playboys, a penis shaped lipstick and some booze. But I could have found a gun.

And getting a handgun legally does not make it safe. For example, Buford O. Furrow, the man who opened fire at a Los Angeles Jewish community center in 1999, was armed with seven guns, including a Glock 9mm automatic handgun and a custom-made assault rifle--and every one of his guns was registered.

Similarly, Bryan Uyesugi, the man who shot and killed seven employees of the Xerox Corporation in Hawaii on November 2, 1999, had 17 firearms registered. Between June 18, 1990 and November 3, 1999, workplace shootings caused the deaths of 116 people. The Columbine killers famously bought their ammo at a local KMart.

And let's remember that private sales of any weapon are not even regulated - I can go out and buy any gun at a gun show or out of a car trunk and it's mine. I don't know the gun's history and the gun doesn't know my history - of possible alcoholism, depression, bipolar disorder, drug addiction or anger at a job, a wife, a mother, a President.

I was thinking that the NRA and the people that tout The Constitution are totally alright with getting a driver's license, insuring their car, making sure their kid gets a learner's permit and takes driver's ed. That makes them a responsible driver and a good citizen. These people pay their taxes, obey laws without too much fuss. Those same people object to any licenses, rules, regulations on any guns. And you could argue that there is more damage to be done in more places with more opportunities with a gun.

And for the people who say guns don't kill people....I agree. They don't. It takes the crazy or angry asshole holding it to kill people. And if that crazy Motherf***er didn't have the gun - they couldn't kill anyone with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment